Only Sonora


Welcome to Sonora!. The outline of our program ONLY SONORA allows you to visit Sonora by car trough any of the 5 border ports of entry: San Luis Rio Colorado, General Plutarco Elias Calles (Sonoyta), Nogales, Naco, Agua Prieta and the port of Guaymas, to the territory marked on the following map of Sonora (Hazard free zone); without having to get any permit, permit application, or payment..

If your final destination is a place in the State of Sonora outside the hazard free zone, you can temporarily import your vehicle with less paperwork and lower cost for up to 180 days in a 12 month period, if you decide to return before your period expires you may process a partial shutdown of your import permit and may restart it without cost when you return again to Sonora. Remember to cancel your permit before it expires.

Documents you need to submit to get the Permit:
Car plates in force
Valid vehicle registration or title insurance in force
Passport or migration credential with valid resident permit
 Driver's license.

You can get the Permit up to 6 months:
At the bank: Banjercito: $ 22.00 Dlls. plus tax
At the General Consulate of Mexico in Phoenix, Arizona: $ 36.00 Dlls. plus tax
Through Internet

The vehicle must be driven by the owner, spouse, parents, children or siblings provided they are foreigners or Mexicans living abroad. If someone else is driving the vehicle the owner must be on board.

You must carry all the time the immigration form granted by the National Institute of Migration (FMT, FM2, FM3 or FME, as applicable)..

If your destination is to a place outside the State of Sonora, your procedure must be the usual one for temporary importation used to visit the rest of the country, The Documentation you need:


  • Documents proving your immigration status
  • Legal document to prove the ownership of the vehicle or rental agreement

If the payment is in cash, a guarantee must be granted according to the year the car was manufactured, in the following terms:


2007 onwards 400 Dlls
2001-2006 300 Dlls
models before 2000 200 Dlls

Other vehicles

• One single RV (motor home), driven or transported

• Along with the import of the motor home, you can make the temporary importation of motorcycles, ATV's, jet skis or recreational vehicles.

• Boats, sailboats or yachts for recreation or sports over four and a half meters.


If the terms of the permit mentioned above are exceeded, the vehicle is considered illegal, in order to avoid penalties and seizure of your vehicle, we recommend:

• Do not drive the vehicle

• Submit an application for the administrative procedure called "Safe Return" through which you get awarded three to five days so you can return the vehicle abroad legally.



Free Transit Vehicle

Immigration and Customs

Only Sonora

Distance Tables

Manual de Internacion

Entry Manual



credit FODETUR


Emergency Phone

Turísmo para todos

Tourism Commission

Contact Us

General coordination


Organization chart


Terms and Conditions

Vision Mission